Wednesday, April 6, 2011

A Rant About The World

Sometimes the world really makes me sad, and the last few days I've had a really heavy heart and soul. Maybe part of it is the dreary weather and the stress at work, but I know that at least part of it has to do with the things I've seen. I've witnessed far too many people being flat-out horrible recently, and it bothers me.

We know the name of the vagrant who hangs out in the plaza begging for money and spending it on lottery tickets, but there really is not a need to make a Facebook profile for him. He's a human being, too, no matter how seldom he bathes or what sort of nonsense he yells in your general direction as you cross the parking lot, and he should be treated like one. The same goes for the elderly man in the mart cart who may come off as kind of a jerk, beeping at you to move out of his way and beckoning for assistance for the most asinine things. He might be a little rough around the edges, but he's still human, just like you and I. It's vitally important to see everyone as an equal, whether they're a vagrant or a grumpy old man or even a mentally challenged person in need of assistance. Every person deserves to be treated with dignity and respect, and it truly bothers me when I see someone whose fundamental rights as a person are being violated.

In a similar way, the current state of being for the majority of the world is horrifying to me. You should never have to worry going to bed at night that when you wake up in the morning, your world could be turned completely upside-down. The people of Japan are still identifying the bodies of lost loved ones in bowling allies and moving buried bodies from mass graves to crematories for a proper ceremony. The fact that these people even have to go through this because of a natural disaster is awful, but can you imagine how you would feel if one of your loved ones was killed and buried seven or eight deep in a grave made to hold a couple thousand bodies? I can't. As if that's not enough, what about Libya? Egypt? The Middle East? Many of the things that you and I take for granted are so frequently luxuries to people in other parts of the world, and to me, that's difficult to swallow.

I really just find the current state of the world appalling, particularly in the way in which people have seemingly lost the value of human life. It's unreal to me that most people can't understand that everyone deserves to be treated equally and with the utmost respect. Vagrants, grumpy old men, criminals, people with special needs, and people from all other walks of life are just like you and I, and that's the most important thing to remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment